September 11, 2008

Viking is a Cool Game

Goozex is all about community, and The Goozex Report is no exception. If you have something you’d like to write about, and it relates to Goozex or Xbox 360 games, I’d like to hear from you. Just drop a comment and I’ll get back to you.

To kick off the first special guest commentary, it’s none other than my brother, Monmin (that's his Goozex Username, mine is JimmyJames70, look us up)…

I think Viking: Battle for Asgard is a pretty awesome game.

Where Grand Theft Auto IV was a chore to play through, I can't wait to dive into Viking, and once I do I can't stop. I've been doing some late night gaming on this one.

Sure, the game is a little repetitive, but so what as long it's fun. Somehow the game kind of reminds me of Assassin's Creed. Creed has a more complex climbing and jumping scheme to it, and Viking has a more complex combat system, but after that the games 'feel' the same when I play.

One of the things that I like about Viking is that if I die, most times I can teleport right back into the action and pick up right where I left off, there isn't even any loading times. Compare that to GTA, where if you die, you have to wait for the game to load back to the hospital, then you have to use your cellphone to restart the mission, then you have to wait for the mission to load back, then you have to look for a taxi or a car (and sometimes there's none to be found), then you have to drive to the mission start-point, wait for the cut scene to load (which you've already seen once before, so even though you waited for it to load, you just skip it once it starts playing), then you attempt the mission once again, and if you die you get to repeat the whole process over again. If you die many times on a mission, you eventually run out of ammo, and you have to add the additional step of finding the gun shop.

GTA is a much better game if you're really good at it and you never die. Unlike me, I died many, many times on a lot of the missions and it drove me nuts.

Viking is a breath of fresh air after GTA and has restored my craving to play games.

JimmyJames70