February 2, 2009

I Just Want to Play the Game, Not Sell It…

Kube00 Says: It’s funny how eBay becomes the dumping ground for a lot of older “rare” games. Most of these games I enjoyed playing as a kid, and eventually, I gave away to my neighbors. DOH!

A good example is Final Fantasy VII which fetches anywhere from $50-$70 or more if the game is sealed. I guess I should have held onto my copy for a few more years.

I’ll admit, after getting rid of my own copy many years ago, I’ve found and sold several FFVII’s. But honestly, the game is not that rare, outside of eBay, it’s cheap to find and there are plenty of copies available. It is a great game and one of the best Final Fantasy’s out there.

Wanna save yourself a few bucks? Go with the PC version, its $30 on eBay and only 650 points on Goozex, although it’s not available right now.

Another more recent example of a “rare” game is Gripshift for the PSP. I’ll be the first to say that it is a terrible game. In fact, less than a year ago, copies were less than $5 in the clearance bins at most retailers. But within the last few weeks eBay has seen prices go as high as $120 for a single copy, although since then, the market has been flooded and the price has come down to $30-$40. Without going into too much detail, Gripshift is needed for PSP 3000’s. But unlike FFVII, where most people want to have it to complete their collection or to play, no one wants Gripshift because it is an “epic” game. This just goes to show that the value of something can change rapidly even if it sucks.

I can understand how older cartridge games are rare. Most of these will never be printed again; some may come out on the Virtual Console or Xbox Marketplace, which only seems to drive their value up even further. How does that work? You can play it again, so why the sudden value jump? Some of the Super Nintendo games are worth a few bucks here and there; just don’t expect your copy of “Super Adventure Island” to be worth anything more than a few dollars.

But the point is why do we as consumers feel the need to have the original sealed copy of a game if we are never going to play it? Wouldn’t it be nice to have something that was cheaper to obtain just so we could play it?

This is where Goozex shines. Goozex is one of the only places I can find decent copies of older games to play. A good example is Twisted Metal 2 for Playstation 1. It’s hard to find on eBay and most Brick and Mortar stores consider it a “rare” game and won’t sell it to me for less than $30. Well, on Goozex it’s readily available for 150 points with lots of copies. So next time you want to play that last gen game that is nowhere to be found and eBay is price gouging, check Goozex, you might be pleasantly surprised.


Digg!

JimmyJames70