January 14, 2009

Revisiting Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Jimmy James 70 Says: Has anyone achieved $1 billion in Mercenaries 2? I’m not talking about earning $1 million. That’s easy. I’m not even talking about earning $20 million. That doesn’t take too long either. I’m talking about $1 billion. Dollars. That’s one more dollar than $999,999,999.00. That’s a lot of completed missions, successful wagers from your comrades, and bonuses. How long does it take to earn this milestone in gaming? What does it take to earn $1 billion? This is the quantity of money the US Government spends . If you earned this Achievement, I would love to hear from you.

While grinding away at my billion dollars (currently at $11 million with 58% of the game complete—pathetic—I know), I still love this game. I have no idea why. It’s simple. The graphics are good to decent. The game play is a bit repetitive, but there’s enough diversity to keep things moving. It does take a long time to go from point A to point B, but if you hijack a helicopter, you can move along a little quicker. The one-liners and quips are limited, but for some reason I don’t really seem to mind. I just keep having fun with this game no matter how many hours I put into it.

I started playing this game several months ago when I got it from Goozex for 1000 points. A couple weeks later, I accidentally traded it back, and got my 1000 points back. I decided I wanted to finish the game, and own a copy, so I bought it off eBay for $30. This is the second time I bought a game off eBay, and both times I received games in excellent condition. Mercenaries 2 is still worth 900 points on Goozex. The game is keeping its value, and it should, it’s a good-to-great game.

No matter how many times I hijack a helicopter or a tank it never gets old. No matter how many times I borrow a sport bike from a civilian, and travel at high speeds on the highway, it does not get old. Grabbing a light machine gun off a dead UP merc doesn’t get old. And best of all, launching air strikes against ground targets is awesome: fighting your way to the building, planting the artillery beacon, booking it out of there, and then turning around just in time to watch the mortars fall, ultimately bringing the building down in a cloud of dust and explosions. Awesome. Simply awesome.

My only real regret is that I did not start with the first Mercenaries, which is backwards compatible with the 360, and is currently worth 150 points on Goozex.


Digg!

JimmyJames70